Taxonomy is the practice of classifying content. Taxonomy can be used in workflow, to customize defined sections of your website to display specific content based on taxonomy terms.
Taxonomy gives your sites use of the organizational keywords known in other systems as categories or tags. It allows you to connect, relate and classify your website’s content. In OpenScholar, these terms are gathered within “vocabularies.” The Taxonomy functionality allows you to create, manage and apply those vocabularies. It also allows you to show specific kinds of content within pages or widgets on your site.
Taxonomy - The system for categorizing your website’s content
Vocabulary - A group of terms
Term - A single word or phrase to describe the content
You can edit a vocabulary or any of its terms by clicking on the edit link to the right of the item.
Adding a new vocabulary
To add a new vocabulary to your site:
- In the Control Panel click on Taxonomy
- Go to +Add vocabulary.
- Enter a Name for this vocabulary (i.e. "Research interests")
- Select at least one Content type to tag with these terms.
You can add new category terms by clicking +Add new term to this vocabulary.
When adding or editing content, you will now be able to tag the content with the vocabulary terms that were associated with that content type.
You can update terms on multiple posts at once.
1. Click to expand Site Content
2. Click to expand Browse
3. Select Content
4. Check the boxes next to the posts you wish to add taxonomy to
5. Choose "Apply Taxonomy term" option from the dropdown
6. Click "Execute" button
7. On the next page, select the appropriate Vocabulary and the Next button.
8. Select the appropriate Term(s) and the Next button.